Pretty in Pink

A Chickadee on my Rhody. Not a cherry blossom but pink just the same.

What technical feedback would you like if any? DOF; is it too narrow? OOF Flowers distracting or ok?]

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: iso 250, 100-400 at 400, no extender, f6.3, 2000th, harsh sidelight, A7R4, 1% sharpening

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

For me the over exposed and out of focus blossoms are too much of a distraction from the chickadee. I’m also wondering what has created the strong “shadow” edge of the flowers where they meet the green background. I think this composition, with the chickadee relatively small in the frame could work if not for the distraction of the blossoms (say that area was more like the green leaves).

A nice setting and good detail in the chickadee. I like the dark green background; goes well with the bird and flowers. I could see cropping the dead stuff on the left. I would agree with Richard that the flowers behind the bird are an issue.

I really like the seting here, with the yellow/green BG and the blooming rhododendron(?). Detail in the bird looks good, although there’s a bit of noise in the body. But I’d have to side with Richard’s critique. I’d also prefer the bird make better eye contact.

For me, this shot is almost there. Perhaps if you’d been able to move the camera up and slightly to the right? And maybe in a when the FG blooms aren’t that much brighter than the blooms on the perch?