Chickadee at Sax Zim bog, Minnesota

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Sharpness, noise level

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Compsition

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn) Canon EOS R, Canon 100-400mm F-4.5/5.6L IS II USM
1/800 @ F-5.6 ISO 2500
low light level, gray sky

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

John:

The technical aspects of your image are very nice. Good exposure (with the exception of a bit of blown white on the head). Details, etc. look great.

You asked about composition. I find this far too tight in the frame and especially cramped at the bottom of the frame. At a bare minimum the branch the bird is on should be included in its’ entirety at the bottom. It looks like a nice environment, but cropped so tight I really can’t tell. I’m echoing what I was advocating for in my recent article.

A real nice shot, John. I agree with Keith though that a little more room in the image would be nice. I like the perch that he is on.

A nice close-up image of the chickadee. I like the contrasting colors in the background. I would have thought it was a sunny day if you hadn’t said otherwise, so good work with your techs. Agree that there could be more space to the right and bottom. I think there’s a fine line between submerging a small bird in it’s environment and showing the environment. I guess all one can do is try different crops and see what works.

What a cute little fellow. I think the background colors , and DOF, really help in making the standout. Lovely photo John.

The bird looks nice and sharp, John, and the noise looks fine even in the largest image. To my eye, the image looks a bit oversaturated-particularly those two fir twigs in front. I agree with Keith that it would be nice to have more room on the bottom and left in this one. That’s particularly so in this image because the out of focus twigs above the bird tend to dominate the little bit of in focus ones below the bird.

A great pose with some great colours! I would like to see more room on the bottom, as the others have already pointed out. Also, just above the upper branch on the left, there is a small white square, not sure what this is from, or if it is maybe how my page loaded (though I reloaded it several times). If you don’t see it, no worries, but if it’s really there then I would consider removing it as it is distracting to my eye at least, haha. :slight_smile: