Prickly Friends

Critique Style Requested: In-depth

The photographer has shared comprehensive information about their intent and creative vision for this image. Please examine the details and offer feedback on how they can most effectively realize their vision.

Self Critique

The form of the vegetation mimics that of Tillotson Peak, in the background.
It would have been better if I were there when the various cacti, trees and other brush were in bloom.

Creative direction

To highlight the environment required for the success of Organ Pipe Cactus, only found in the Sonoran Desert of Arizona and Mexico.

Specific Feedback

Any attraction to city-dwellers? Is the story clear? Would you want to walk in this garden?

Technical Details

Canon EOS 5D II; Canon EF 28-70mm @ 70mm; f/16 @ 1/30 sec, ISO 100; Gitzo tripod, RRS BH 55; Canon RS-80N3 remote switch

Description

The namesake cactus for the Organ Pipe Cactus NM, with Tillotson Peak in the background, shares its habitat with ocotillo, brittlebush, prickly pear, Teddybear cholla, creosote bush, palo verde, saltbush, mesquite and chainfruit cholla.

A nice look at this slice of habitat, Bob. You did well to find a viewpoint that kept the tips of the saguaro in the background from popping above the skyline which would have marred the composition a little. I do like the way you positioned the organ pipes in front of the peak.

Thank you @Dennis_Plank for your kind remarks. The saguaro on the far right came closest to invading the sky. I’m sure I would have “corrected that invasion” in post If I didn’t catch it at capture.