Puffin Flight

Description: Puffin flying on a remote island in the Cook Inlet, Alaska

Specific Feedback Requested: Does the crop work for you ? I like the all green background rather than the rocky area where the birds were nesting.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Is this a composite? (focus stacks or exposure blends are not considered composites) Not a composite.
Nikon D500 with Nikon 200-500. ISO 2500, F7.1, 1/2000th

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

I like a nice wing spread with clean feather details,Andrew. I like Puffin shots, such unique looking creatures, and you got a pretty good angle to get the eye lines and beak in this one, The crop seems fine, the bird is positioned nicely. The background looks a little too scraggly to compliment such a smooth looking glide .

A very nice flight shot of the Puffin, Andrew. I like the wing position and the focus and exposure look good.

Hi Andrew
A remote island in Cook Inlet wow, I only remember what looked like miles of mud flats at low tide and I drove by it. (Played Army at Fort Rich 1972-73). This is a very good shot of a Puffin in flight, they really move. You have good control of the whites and blacks. I think if you darken the background this will help that scraggly look that Stephen posted about. You just have to love those Puffin.