Purple Dusk

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

My wife and I were visiting Cannon Beach in 2005. I had made a couple images of Haystack Rock and then turned ninety degrees to get this image. I was using an Olympus OM1 film camera, likely with Fuji Velvia or Provia. It was late enough that some people were starting fires on the beach to enjoy nature with a picnic dinner.

Specific Feedback

Hopefully, the pastel pink, purple, and blue colors and light foggy mist create a soft mood against the dark sea stacks. Focus is a bit soft in the mid and background, but that hopefully adds to the mood. Does the image have any feeling to you? What’s your reaction?

Technical Details

Olympus OM1 with Fuji slide film.

Larry,

A calm tranquility is what comes to my mind. The soft colors and tones really set the mood of this photo. And the dark sea stacks give the photo a sense of secure stability, something you can rest on. Great work.

Thanks, Youssef. Your comment matches my intent. I appreciate your response.

Nice serene mood created with the soft pastel colors, Larry. The light mist also helps with enhancing the mood. Looks like a great way to spend the evening. Nicely done.

I really like the colors you have captured here. The dark shapes lend an elegance to this image. The proportions all seem right to me. Nice work.

:heart_eyes: I love images like this…my favorite colors. I like the asymmetrical balance of the scene. The smoothed water really contributes to the serenty of the photo.

Thanks, @Chris_Baird, @Igor_Doncov, @Ed_Lowe . You have confirmed my hope for this image. Being an old slide that I digitized, I didn’t know how it would come across. I appreciate you and Ismail Youssef’s response as well.

Yep! Well done Larry.

Thanks, John. I appreciate your looking at the image. Thanks for the positive response.

1 Like