Purple Haze

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

As with all my photographs whether landscape or streetscape, what I am trying to do is evoke a mood that generates some kind of emotional response. And so, first and foremost, I am most interested in getting feedback on the degree to which I’ve succeeded or failed and, from your perspective, why.

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

You can tell, just by the title, that I’m an old timer.
Another fog shot from Algonquin Park, Ontario’s canoeing haven. What sets this one apart for me is three-fold. First, are the three trees that serve as the focal point of the picture. Second, is the colour palette, namely purple, with some blue and yellow/orange, which I rather like because it is unusual even though it was basically what I downloaded. And finally, three, the lovely texture on the water, which adds a touch of dynamism to an otherwise quiet solitude.

Technical Details

Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 4.44.26 PM

I love the dreamy feel that this image has and the colour palette is very pleasing, at least it is to my eyes. I like this very much.

When I see this title, my brain switches to music:
“Purple haze all around, don’t know if I’m coming up or down”
and that fuels my interpretation of your excellent shot. I don’t know if my eyes are drawn up from the water or down from the sky, probably both, attracting me to the trees, and then focusing in on the couple. Finally, I wonder what caused the purple. This would sit happily on my wall.

The soft pastel look with the mist and fog creates a most pleasing mood. I’m with @Mike_Friel on saying this would looks great on the wall, a nice impressionist image. I think it looks windy too. The pink sky is an effective way to deal with the otherwise blank sky. Excellent.