Purple Gallinule Ruffle

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Is the bird too small in the frame? This was a large crop, and I was unsure about taking it any further.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

I darkened and hue shifted the pads from yellow/green to green/yellow. Do they look about right to you?

Any pertinent technical details:

Camera Info: Nikon D500, HH, beanbag in SUV window
Lens: VR 300mm f/4E + 1.4x TC
Focal Length: 420mm
Focus Mode: AF-C
AF-Area Mode: Dynamic, 25 points
VR: ON
Aperture: f/6.3
Shutter Speed: 1/800s
Exposure Mode: Aperture Priority
Exposure Comp.: -0.3EV
Metering: Spot
ISO Sensitivity: ISO 200
38% of full frame
PP in LR/PS CC 2018, Topaz Studio, Camera Raw filter, TK sharpen for web @ 35%

Phil: I don’t think the bird is too small in the frame as a general statement. I do find the other elements in the image distracting enough that given the size of the bird for this image and the context, it doesn’t really stand out. Since this is a large crop, was there a reason to crop so close to the reflection on the bottom?

I don’t know what the lighter diagonal line on the left side of the frame is. Looks like something that was OOF by a lot? It is light and has a big pull as does the brown thing above and just to the right of the bird.

You mentioned you darkened the pads and the color shifted. If you were using something like a Levels or Curves adjustment layer to darken the pads, changing the blending mode of that layer to Luminosity will only allow PS to change the luminance, not cause a color shift as well.

Crop near bottom—no real reason. I had room below.
Lighter diagonal line on LHS—roadside OOF grass; unavoidable
Brown thing to right and above the bird was a turned up lily pad
Made hue and luminance shifts in PS hue/saturation/luminance slider. The color shifting was intentional.

Very nice look at the Gallinule; the colors came out great. If it can take more of a crop one thing to consider would be to remove the reflection and the OOF grass on the left.

Hi Phil. The out of focus roadside grass doesn’t bother me and the color shift looks good to my eye. I do find the upturned lily pad distracting and would like to see more canvas under the reflection. The size in the frame works for me, though for web presentation, I think tou could go tighter and really take advantage of that gorgeous plumage.

Phil, before I read your post and just looked at the image, I was thinking this would make a nice vertical which would crop out the out of focus vegetation in the frame. But if you also had more room below the reflection on the bottom I would include that. So if the image quality holds up, that is what I would try.

Thanks all. I will try the vertical on this as a new post rather than a repost.

HI Phil
I think I would go along with Nate, A vertical or 3/4 crop would help keep the hold frame in focus. Detail, color and bird size look good to me. Nice work.
Peter