Raccoon Family - Repost

Crayfish Dinner

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

On an evening walk to the beach we saw this raccoon family come out of their den from across the creek. Momma, lower right in this frame, was getting ready to go out for dinner and was giving last minute instructions to the kids to stay out of trouble.

Specific Feedback

It was not only evening time, but in a very shady overgrown creek area. I know the raccoon in the back is a bit out of focus. While it gives a bit of depth, does it detract too much from the overall aesthetic of this shot?

Technical Details

Photo 1 - Canon 7D Mark II, 100-400 lens at 560 with 1.4 Ext, f16, 1/160 sec, ISO 800
Photo 2 - Canon 7D Mark II, 100-400 lens at 560 with 1.4 Ext, f8, 1/400 sec., ISO 800

2 Likes

Ed, enjoying the photos here. Especially the raccoon family peering thru the grasses. Reminds me of the family that were climbing up and down our drainpipe downspout the other night at 2am. Natures funny “masked bandits”.
The one eating the Crayfish shares a good example of how big they are as well as their given hand dexterity… :+1:

The story you tell about the scene makes the two pictures especially poignant. I don’t think the raccoon in the back detracts from the scene. I am distracted by the very light area in the upper left of the 2nd picture. It seems to dominate the composition. That would be my only suggestion regarding the aesthetic quality of the image. You, indeed, were at the right place at the right time.

Paul and Barbara, thank you for your comments. Barbara, thank you for your suggestion about the upper left corner of the second shot. I’ve tried to tone that down and darken it a bit. I like the result.

Talk about cute! They look like little bandits waiting in the grass waiting to make their move and get into some kind of trouble. I like the fact that they are making eye contact with the viewer. The last youngster being a little OOF does not bother me. The mother with the crayfish only adds to the story. Beautifully done, Ed.

Ed, these are both excellent takes on these raccoons. The slightly oof youngster at the back doesn’t bother me at all as I enjoy how the family is angled across the frame and the lovely green of the grasses that they’re peering through. The updated look at mom is a good improvement. I like the clear water and its subtle color changes, with the crawdad’s claws adding a nice color surprise.

Ed, this is a wonderful set of photos that tell a story! I don’t mind the OOF youngster in the background, it adds depth. I also love how they are peering through the grasses - they truly are cute - even if naughty and pesky at times. I agree with @Barbara_Djordjevic about that bright area in UL and I’m glad to see that you have already toned that down. It helped a lot.

Yes, Paul. It makes all the difference.