Raccoon Having Crayfish Dinner - Repost2

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This was close to home along a water channel that goes to the beach. This mother raccoon left three young ones in the culvert den to go hunting for dinner. She didn’t take long to get it, and in fact caught and ate three crayfish in about fifteen minutes as we watched.

Specific Feedback

Too big in the frame? I wanted to show the reflection as well as the behavior.

Technical Details

Canon 7DMii, f7.1, 1/250 sec, iso 800, 100-400/1.4 TC, at 290 mm

Ed, Mom is pretty intent on her meal. I am guessing she did not offer to share any of it with you. What a privieldge to watch her for so long. I do not think she is too big in the frame. In fact I would crop some of the water at the bottom. It dosn’t add anything to the picture. She and the BG are quite bright. I would tone down the background so she pops out of the frame. All the green is too bright and I find it distracting. I don’t know how you feel about removing material, but the dead grass in the water is also distracting. The PS remove tool would clean that up very nicely. Thanks for sharing this moment with us.

Again Ed another behavioural image. I don’t mind the crop, however, if you wish to emphasise the animal I would darken and desaturate slightly the BG. I am not to worried about removing any debris as its a busy image.

Thank you @Barbara_Djordjevic and @mark28. These are really helpful suggestions.
I went ahead and darkened and dulled the grass up top and gave this a little vignette. I believe your suggestions have greatly improved this image.

Cool subject and repost is certainly better. You may darken the Raccoon too.

Thank you for your recommendation Jagdeep. I will work on that in a day or two when I get time.

Ed: I like this well composed behavioral photo along with your version with the vignette. I think the subject and bg are rather bright and could use a bit of burning. One last suggestion, the water has a distinct bluish tone which could be lessened. These are all minor points.