Crawfish on the menu

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Great Egrets are common in the Louisiana rookery we most often visit (Rip’s Rookery in New Iberia). Aquatic vegetation has seemed to become more and more prevalent over the years which also has seemed to increase the crawfish population. The birds take advantage of that and give photographers many opportunities to capture feeding behavior.

Specific Feedback

Any

Technical Details

First and third image: Canon R7, 400mm f4 DO IS II, 1.4x extender III
Second image: Canon 90D, Sigma 150-600mm Contemporary

ISO 400, f7.1, 1/3200s, hand held

Very cool images, Allen. I love the contrast between the white birds and brilliant red crawfish.

1 Like

Makes you really feel for the crayfish. I thought cats were the only ones who played with their food. Ha. I know that without hands they have to resort to tossing things around, but it seems kind of playful in a way. All the images look excellent - sharp with good compositions and angles. The last has the best timing for me and has the best overall detail. Really nice work.

1 Like

Hi Allen,

All three images are fantastic!
Great timing! I’ve watched Egrets snatch crawfish out of the water, they do the ‘snatch -n- toss’ bit all in one motion, then they can get them in a better position in their beaks for swallowing, I guess they don’t need those claws grabbing their beaks while they’re trying to swallow them.

I’ve managed to get a few shots of the action but none while the crawfish is in mid-air like these.

This makes me want to go back to the Three Legged Dog restaurant in New Orleans for more Crawfish Boil dinners! :slight_smile:

If you’ve never tried the airboat tours in Jean Lafitte, it’s something to think about, the guides will always stop along the way so photographers can get a few shots, photographers are probably their biggest customers. Of course there are other airboat tours in La. besides Jean Lafitte.

No suggestions for edits, these are great as presented IMHO.

1 Like