Stuck on you (+1 re-post)

And a re-edit with Diane and Terry’s suggestions. I think they were good ones. Is the crop too tight now?

A raccoon with a particularly subby tail has been hanging out in the neighborhood visiting various birdfeeders. Getting a sunflower seed stuck to your nose is an obvious side-effect.

I took this just an hour ago or so as the sun was edging behind the trees. Still a good amount of reflected light even if the scene is a bit messy.

Specific Feedback Requested

I’m still learning the fine art of wildlife photography and will take any and all feedback. It’s a tad soft and so I think a higher shutter speed would have been better - it was having a sniff of the crisp air and so moving just a bit. I should have dialed that up as well as the ISO since I had the room.

In terms of processing, let me know if there are too many weird spots after I cloned some branches out - I also used the stamp tool on parts, but tried not to be obvious about it. Oy.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Lumix G9
Leica DG 100-400mm f/4-6.3 @ 280mm (560mm equiv.)
f/6.3 | 1/400 sec | ISO 250
Handheld on my front porch braced against a post that holds up the roof

Processed in Lr for white balance, highlight control & to reduce blues/purples in shade. Added clarity, texture and lit up the eyes a bit. A gentle curve to bring up the mids and keep the darks rich. Cropped an annoying raspberry branch out above it and used Ps to remove other branches that were too near the head and body.

1 Like

Nice catch – the poor thing looks cold! The ground is a bit messy but I can’t fault reality. I’d think about bringing up the darks just a bit. I don’t see direct evidence of cloning branches but you missed a couple of shadows on the right.

1 Like

Hi, Kris. Raccoons are always fun to shoot, though they can become a bit of a nuisance, at times. Personally, I would probably have gone ahead and cropped out the base of that tree, and lightened the raccoon just a bit. But, those are small, personal opinion things. Overall, very nice.

1 Like

Good catch. Doh! Cleaned up now.

Thanks, Terry. I did a little brushwork here and there and cropped the tree.

1 Like

After the changes suggested above, this is an appealing portrait - I’m glad we get a closer look at that cheeky face.

1 Like

What a cute expression! I actually like the crop better with the tree. :wink:

1 Like

Appears quite neat now, you may go more rectangular.

1 Like

Oh! Such a cute racoon! It looks like he’s probably been through a lot with the tail partially gone. Poor little guy.

1 Like

Repost is much better. Smaller raccoons are moving around to avoid big males and this one looks frazzlerd for sure. Post processing looks good too…Jim

1 Like