There's gotta be a way

From the same session as my other raccoon photo, this time with a little scheming going on. I almost didn’t get these shots because after eating under the feeder, she wandered off behind the garage (that’s what the bg is). I just happened to look again in a minute and she was back, and this time had direct attack in mind. Lucky for the birds she didn’t succeed. After a bit she climbed down and wandered over into the side yard where she disappeared from view.

Specific Feedback Requested

Yes, the background is ugly, but that’s where we have the feeder (so it doesn’t ruin the lawn). I am afraid I over-sharpened so opinions sought.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Lumix G9
Leica DG 100-400 f/4-6.3 lens @ 318mm (636mm equiv.)
f/6.3 | 1/500 sec | ISO 250
handheld on the front porch braced against a pillar

Lr processed for basics - bumped exposure 1/3 stop, white and black points, clarity & texture, a little adjustment brush on the raccoon to pull up the shadows, curves adjustment & a bit of sharpening & nr. Slight crop to straighten and crop out branches on the right. Ps for some smart sharpening applied with a mask to the raccoon only.

@the.wire.smith
1 Like

Ha! I’m surprised she didn’t figure out a way. They are so clever. It doesn’t look over-sharpened to me and the bg, while not gorgeous, is not a distraction for me.

I love this! It’s so cute! I hope you don’t mind, but I just did a crop and got rid of the lines in the BG and some white stuff on her face for a possible clean image version. I know the bird feeder gives a story but in case you hadn’t thought of a way to make the raccoon into a portrait…

Not bad, vanessa! And you even cleaned her nose! I hadn’t thought to do that.

1 Like

Glamor Shots! Gotta make the model look good!

1 Like

Very good, Kris. My favorite is definitely the second-it’s such a great pose and it has a nice look at the eye. It doesn’t look oversharpened to me. I really like the inclusion of the feeder and the garage wall, as Terry noted, isn’t distracting. Vanessa’s version shows that you could replace the wall with something more pleasing, but I don’t think it’s really necessary given the subject matter.

1 Like

Very good job in the color and detail. I really like the pose, especially in the second image. Raccoons can be a real menace especially if people try to feed them. But they are very clever.

1 Like