Rainbow over mountain

Greetings NPN members.
I just joined NPN and this is my first post. I look forward to your comments, and becoming an active member of your community.

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any and all.

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any and all.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Single image straight from camera, at 65mph.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

@brian_a_lovell

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Hi Brian and welcome! That’s an impressive sky you show here! I like how it all gets warmer in the middle, from the cooler edges.
The image is a bit soft and lacks sharpness, especially in the foreground, but also the mountain and sky lack detail. Not so strange maybe considering the 65 mph :wink: I hope you weren’t driving yourself. Moments like these can be gone in a second, or there is no place to park etc. I would still try to stop the car asap somewhere and maybe even add a nice foreground to the image. If I weren’t driving myself I could try to capture the sky while it’s there, trying to improve on it after stopping, if possible. Selectively sharpening it in post will add some clarity, in example on the edges of the clouds.
It must have been beautiful to witness this!

Beautiful rainbow and light. Oh yeah, welcome aboard too! I would agree with Ron about the softness. Given the speed, not a surprise. Too bad you were not able to pull over and get this one off a tripod. Oh well, that is how life works sometimes.

Welcome again. Looking forward to more work and reading your thoughts on the work of others.

Thank you Ron and Harley
Thankful to be able to share my work and get critiques from professionals.

Brian,

Welcome to NPN! A grand first post to be sure.

Some times mother nature just puts on a show and we’re blessed enough to be there to experience and capture it.

Processing and colors look spot on and I have no nitpicks or suggestions really. I suppose I could be really picky and ask why you didn’t wait until the rainbow was emerging from the very top of the peak? :roll_eyes: :wink: :laughing: jk…

The only feedback might be to let you know you can post larger versions - if you’re inclined. We all have concerns about posting large images on the web… but boy, do we like the see them big here!

Welcome aboard. We look forward to more images and for your participation.

Lon

Lon, thank you very much for your kind words.
I do wish I had stopped and taken my time with this one.
A gift it was… look forward to sharing some of my work, just to know that others appreciate it.
Cheers!0

Welcome Brian to NPN. I hope you will find great benefit from the feedback you receive.

Great photo and catching rainbows are a real gift. I’m always on the lookout for them as well and hoping to catch that pink fluffy unicorn that dances on them some day :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

On the serious side though, the photo seems a bit soft and could probably use a bit of sharpening. I’m not sure what software you use to process your images, but LR and PS both have great sharpening tools.

Again welcome to NPN.

Youssef, thank you very much for the critique.
I do look forward to all the knowledge that I will receive.
The photo is untouched. So yes I agree with you.