Rapid Reflection

Description:

I revisited a stream where I was rained out recently. Many times I am drawn to smaller scenes like this one. I thought the soothing reflections of sky and foliage in the midst of the power of the rapid was interesting.

Specific Feedback Requested: any and all

Pertinent technical details or techniques: 200mm f/18 1/3 sec iso 500 cpl

Is this a composite? No

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

3 Likes

I agree that this is very interesting. The different hues of green/yellow give life to the image. Very pleasing, Mario.

Wow! I really love this one, Mario! There’s so much action going on. You really captured the movement of the water beautifully! And I think having the reflections actually emphasize it. Really well done!

Wonderful.

The silkiness surrounding a central jumble of action is exciting. I particular like the placement of the central splash. It’s subjective, as are most opinions, but just a little big lower might be more interesting.

I wonder if it would be possible to make an image with a fast shutter freezing the middle and blending that with this long shutter. Maybe the Photoshop layer experts could chime in.

Namaste

This is a really intriguing image. To me it doesn’t look like a river scene at all. So you start to imagine what this actually is. I thought at first that it looked like a white cloud coming out of a volcanic peak.

I thought the upper brown area was superfluous. Was I wrong. Remove it and it becomes boring, too simple.

Thank you all @Vanessa_Hill @Adhika_Lie @paul_g_wiegman @Igor_Doncov for you comments and time.

This image has a lot energy and exuberance, well done Mario. The colors here are interesting too, the browns, yellows and greens make for an interesting combination. Great interplay of warm and cool colors. At first glance I thought the browns and greens could be warmer and brighter, but then realized that it would compete too much with the bright white water. I much prefer it as presented.

Yes Paul this is relatively easy to do using layers and masks in Photoshop, And many people try to photograph flowing water this way, whether that be streams and waterfalls, or ocean waves. Because flowing water is soft and diffuse by nature, it is relatively easy to manually paint on the mask (using a soft brush) to blend two or more exposures taken at different shutter speeds, you don’t end up with halos because the water edges are soft, and not hard. With that said, I prefer the center of this image as presented, but that is a subjective opinion. The nice thing about this blending technique is that it leaves you creative choices to try stuff like you mentioned.