Reaching for light

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I came across this scene in an area called ‘The Grove’ that comprises some huge limestone outcrops and slabs that are about 1 metre apart. When walking between those slabs (and hoping for no earthquake while doing so) the atmosphere is one of a deep cave with just a little light filtering down through the trees above.
This image is of some Rata vines growing around a small block of limestone there.

Specific Feedback

Any feedback is welcome.

Technical Details

ISO 400, 1/60s, f4.5
34mm

Phil, I like this view of these roots (a scene that I’ve tried to shoot multiple times without much success). You’ve got good eye flow with the root mass along the right leading to the base in the upper left, balanced well against the moss/lichen covered stone.

Hi Phil :slight_smile:

I really like this, It has an enchanted forest look IMHO :slight_smile:
The vines look very similar to our Locust trees and vines here in the eastern US.

The way the vines are clinging to the lichen covered rock has a feel of tenacity.
The deep textures are awesome and the dappled light kissing the vines is wonderful. It sounds like a very interesting place to explore.

I totally agree with using fill light to be able to view the details but I was wondering how it might look to clone out the hard shadows from the fill light, then burn the left side of the vines just a bit to allow the sunlight to be the only apparent light source.

I pulled your image into Ps just to see how it might work and it seemed to be successful so I decided to upload the example edit for comparison. I hope you don’t mind.
It really is a lovely deep forest texture image and the composition is great! :slight_smile:

Hi Phil,

I love the complexity, yet cohesiveness, of this image! It’s well-balanced and leads my eye around, increasing my curiosity and attention. I think that I do agree with Mervin about the contrast, but I would not want it to lose the richness of the wood while trying to control that.

2 Likes

@Mark_Seaver, @Susanna_Euston. Thankyou for your kind words and comments. Much appreciated. Cheers.

Hi Merv
Thanks for your comments. As always, they improve my thoughtfulness about images significantly. I often tend to process according to my original feeling about the scene but then omit careful examination as through the eyes of a third person. Reminds me of the old cartoons (i.e. Bugs Bunny or the Roadrunner) where they are often being pounded on the head with a wooden mallet :grimacing: I really value your input so that I can start to avoid that feeling after posting an image :hugs:

I am very happy for you to download any images of mine to illustrate your recommendations. In this case a definite improvement. Thankyou.

The Southern Rata ‘tree’ (in the Myrtyl family) is interesting as it grows in many unusual locations from seeds dropped by native birds. It grows as vines up to about 10m and appears as a tree with beautiful large fluffy flowers. It certainly stands out amongst our native trees as most of the latter have very small white flowers that are easily missed.
Cheers.

Hi Phil :slight_smile:

Thanks for the laugh! I needed that :laughing:
I used to have the same struggle until I started considering what my images might look like to the average viewer, then there was the idea of another photographer critiquing my work. :roll_eyes:

I’m very happy and relieved to know that you interpreted my edit/suggestions as constructive.
My comments are always made in the spirit of helping by providing a subjective viewpoint.

I had to do a Google image search to see what the flowers look like on Southern Rata trees and yes, the contrast between their red flowers against small white flowers of other native trees is very significant.
While I was doing the image search I noticed a native NZ bird named TUI, they appear to have a special attraction to Southern Rata. Very interesting and very colorful bird! :slight_smile:

NZ and AU have so many unique flora, insects, birds and wildlife! I’d love to visit and explore but it’s not likely at this stage of my life. So, I’m very happy to explore your part of the world through your images! :slight_smile:

Thank you very much, Phil!! :smiley: