Red-Breasted Woodpecker

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

My first post after a long health related hiatus. I hope I do not mess up and embarrass myself, Looking for constructive critics to help me improve my ability.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Sorry but the title of my first post is incorrect. I switched photos at the last minute. Obviously this is a Red-breasted Woodpecker.

Hello Dave, you curious about the Pine Warbler now :grinning:. Anyway, welcome and a nice bird and shot. The techs on the bird look good to me, only thing that’s distracting a bit from the subject are the vertical light colums in the background. You may consider locally darken them a bit, should your personal ethics permit. Cheers, Hans

Nice detail in the woodpecker and nice pose. I assume you meant red-bellied. I think you can change the name in ‘edit’ mode.

Nice clear image and pleasing pose. I would also darken the OOF vertical areas so the emphasis is on the Woodpecker.

Welcome back, Dave. Sorry to hear about the illness. I really like the light on the woodpecker and the framing of the image. My only nit is that the bright out of focus tree going up the left side really pulls my eye. It’s always easy to second guess, but if you could have taken a step to the left, you might have gotten a less distracting background. Alternatively, you could probably remove it in post processing if you don’t object to doing that sort of thing.

You know, I never even noticed the OOF objects in the frame. I guess I was just too focused on the bird. Not so sure about my photoshop skills but, I will give it a shot. Thanks for the input.

Hi Dave: I edited your title to Red-Breasted Woodpecker based on your post. I like the perch the bird is on and the nice light and detail in the bird. The bright OOF trees in the background are the biggest issue as they really pull me away from the subject.