Red-capped robin

Photographed at Arcoona creek in the Gammon Ranges of South Australia.

Specific Feedback Requested

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Nikon D500, 80-400 lens @400mm
1/1600th sec @ f/5.6
ISO 1250

@nealedyster
1 Like

Hi Neale and welcome! Very attractive bird and I like the profile pose with head turn toward us. Exposure looks quite nice. Fine details even though I do see some noise especially in the background so I’d consider running some low noise reduction.

Hello and welcome to NPN, Neale! What a lovely creature you’ve given us for your first post. The whites look clean and not overly bright and the red channel is behaving itself as well. You could try cloning out some of the smaller twigs to present a cleaner perch, but it’s not too critical. I love the detail around the beak - those little feathers. Fabulous.

Please feel free to jump in on other images you see here - the give and take, back and forth is what makes this community valuable and fun, too.

@neale Welcome to NPN. Thanks for sharing your image here. Please join in and comment on the work of others here. That’s what makes this community work, and of course, share your work!

Very nice bird. The pose is great and most of the background is a nice addition to the shot. The upper right corner is a bit of an eye pull, but other than that, I like it.

There is some noise that is hurting the overall image quality, I pulled the image and ran NR on the background for comparison. Here’s the result with the section outlined in red that has been noise reduced.

Again. Welcome!

What a lovely bird! You did a great job of showing the dark eye on its dark BG! The reds look good but I wonder if there is a bit more detail to be found in the forehead. Information on processing is always helpful. @Keith_Bauer’s noise reduction is excellent.

Welcome, Neal! This image is well worth a little tweaking to make it even stronger. I would remove the gray triangular area in the UR corner (maybe by coloring it to match the adjacent BG), add a small amount of canvas below the perch so it feels a bit less crowded, and remove the OOF diagonal branch behind the perch.

Thanks for the helpful suggestions and feedback everyone,

Hi Neale
Your Red-capped Robin pops of the page. The reds, whites, blacks, head turn and eye contact are all good. The noise almost look like a film grain, but if that was not the look you’re going for, Keith has a good pointer. Nice photograph.
Pet er

Hi Neale,
Welcome aboard. The exposure is spot on and Keith’s treatment for noise has done trick. BG is wonderful…Jim

A belated welcome, Neale. A very nice image of this beautiful bird. The bit of noise in the background is easily fixed as Keith demonstrated.

I look forward to seeing more of your work and reading your comments on the work of others.

Hi Neale. You have introduced me to a wonderful creature. Fabulous colors. Because a viewer’s eye is easily pulled toward the brightest or most contrasty, you might want to burn the lighter twig areas on the right edge.