Red Fox kit with snack

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Saw this kit one early morning with some kind of big bird leg. Thinking it may be a turkey leg but not sure.

Specific Feedback

Cropping.
Any idea what kind of leg this is?

Technical Details

Canon R7, 400mm f4 DO IS II, 1.4x extender III, tripod
ISO 2500, f6.3, 1/1250s

Processed in DXO PureRaw 3 and Photoshop.

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:
2 Likes

That’s really cool that you have a Fox family so close you can get these shots (mom ,kit and squirl shot).
Snack is right. There isn’t much meat on that leg. It does look to be a Turkey leg. I can’t think of another bird that has legs that size, out in the wild. I cropped the top to take out the woods and branches that seemed to take or catch my eye. I also cropped a little off the right side just to center him. I like the smooth green grasses. I also wanted a closer look at his fur and those beautiful eyes . He looks so soft and cute that I want to reach out and pet him like a dog. I hope you can continue to get more shots of the family as he grows up.
Thanks

What a wonderful opportunity!! Keep up the work with the family!! I agree with @SkipsPics about taking a little off the top and right – and about how cute he is!

This one is adorable Allen. I really like the look you got from this kit. That is a huge bird leg for it to play with. I really like the grasses, and the colors, your details are perfect. I also kind of think the top and the right are OK since they imply a place for the kit to go hide and find some privacy to play with the bird leg in this one.

@SkipsPics @Diane_Miller @Ed_Williams
Thank you for the comments and suggestions! I also thought about cropping in tighter but I was afraid of losing significant detail . I was a long way off from the kit (on opposite side of field). Trying to keep a respectful distance. So I kept this looser and it does show the environment and one of the exit routes of the foxes as Ed suggests

1 Like

Definitely a “cute” view of this fox kit as it looks like it’s about to disappear in the thicket behind. That’s a big bird leg it’s carrying. As something to try, I suggest some darks burning of the grass below the fox, to darken slightly and add contrast to the grassy bottom of the photo.