Red Fox With Kits + Repost

Repost:

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

A family of red foxes turned up in our neighborhood last night. Here is the mother with two kits.

Specific Feedback

How does the cropping look? Should I remove the grass sticking up on the left?

Technical Details

Canon R7, 400mm f4 DO IS II, 1.4x extender III, tripod
ISO 4000, f6.3, 1/800s

Processed in DXO PureRaw 3 and Photoshop.

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:
2 Likes

Allen, the details in all three foxes show very well. Having the two youngsters staring at you while mom doesn’t seem to care tells a good story. The grass on the left doesn’t bother me at all, it seems like it belongs.

1 Like

Hi Allen,
What a lovely scene. Congrats on discovering this in your neighborhood.
The two boys watch and wonder what the guy is planning to do with the camera. :slight_smile:

The cropping looks good to me. And the grass on the left edge of the picture doesn’t bother me either.

But I can see a slight green color cast.

I pushed the tint slider to the right. And I added a little bit of contrast afterwards.

This processing enhances the color separation and makes the foxes stand out even more from the background.

2 Likes

Wow! What a great scene you have captured. I am very jealous! Foxes are extremely picturesque in my opinion and kits staring at the camera are even better. So often with wildlife images it is difficult to make the animal stand out in their natural background. You obviously don’t have that problem as the blurred dark green background is perfect. I mostly agree with @Mark_Seaver and @Jens_Ober , however, I think I would want to remove a couple of the blades of grass on the left of the scene. Thanks for sharing such a wonderful image!

1 Like

Great setting and wonderful scene !
Removing grass blade on LHS is a personal choice, but they are not bothering much.
If this was mine, I would have some more canvas at the botton and apply a dark gradient there.

1 Like

Wonderful setting and looks from those two kits Allen. Also really good detail and depth here. I didn’t see the green tint until @Jens_Ober pointed it out, but his slight adjustment has made a nice improvement. I can also see a bit more canvas at the bottom as suggested by @JRajput with a bit of darkening.

1 Like

Wow, Allen, I am enjoying all of your fox images! What a treat.

1 Like

@Mark_Seaver @Ed_Williams @JRajput @Shirley_Freeman @Willemd @Jens_Ober
Thanks for the comments and suggestions everyone! I did a repost and posted it up top. What do you think?

3 Likes