Red Shoulder Hawks

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any and all feedback welcome as to how I could have executed this any better.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any pertinent technical details: I shot this with a Canon 5dM4 with a 100-400 L F/4 MK II. at 400mm, f/8, ISO 500, 1/500. I used f/8 so I can get both birds in focus. One was a little behind the other.!

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Wow, what a great capture. Excellent detail in the hawks. I could see a slight crop on theft to de-center them a bit, but that’s a small nit. This is a great shot.

1 Like

Thank you, will keep that in mind when I re edit this.

If you can crop tighter without losing IQ, it would be awesome.
As is, a very nice environmental photo and a great look at this pair.

1 Like

Outstanding detail and color!

Probably revealing something about my general taste in wildlife images, but for my eye this screams for a crop to vertical. That lighter green branch on the right is a bit distracting for my eye, and removing it seems to make the hawks pop even more than they already do.

1 Like

Great job on the hawks, Jose. It’s nice to see you posting in Avian. I like the poses and the light in this image and f/8 worked very well. If you’re into the processing end of things, I’d recommend either toning down or cloning over the bright out of focus greenery in the upper right. It tends to pull my eye away from the hawks.

Sweet image!

1 Like

Thanks, will look into that. I think you maybe onto something there.

I think I will lose IQ if I try to get closer. But will give it a try. Thanks for your response.

The hawks are beautiful, Jose. Nice detail and color in them.

1 Like

Hi Jose—Very nice. You could try some different crops to strengthen the comp. The birds in the center of the frame are fine as is. This may work very well as a vertical–give it a try to see how it holds up to the crop.,…Jim