Red-tailed Hawk

Another one from my Friday trip to a not so nearby wildlife refuge. There was someone else parked in the only location that had a clear shot of the bird and you’re not allowed out of the car at this location, so I was stuck with a bit of leaf in front of the bird’s head. In this case, I don’t mind it as it fits in with the rest of the habitat.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Anything. I did paint over a few orphaned leaves and twigs that I didn’t like.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Does the leaf over the face bother you?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Sony A6500, FE200-600 @ 459 mm, hand held braced on car window and maybe mirror (I used it some of the time as a brace on the front of the lens), f/8, 1/1250, iso 3200, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC, full frame. Taken at 11:43 am on November 20th under heavily overcast skies.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
2 Likes

Hi Dennis
The leave just over the Hawk’s is the price you pay for photographing birds in the wild. The setting is vary nice and this Hawk is keeping on all the photographers. Feather detail and coloring are very nice. Good work.
Peter

Hi Dennis! I think this image works very well in spite of the leaf. I like the setting and the color of the leaves, and the fog makes an excellent background. Nice job Dennis!

Very nice look at the hawk with a good head turn. I don’t mind the leaf. In fact, this wouldn’t be a bad photo without the hawk. I like the fall colors and the hint of the same colors in the background.

I do not mind either about the leaf, Dennis - it’s a very nice and natural setting for this bird. Well done ! Cheers, Hans - I assume getting out of the care would have most likely scared away the bird anyway?

The hawk looks really good. The leaf is fine and adds a bit more context to the environment. I like the bg and it looks like a dim outline of trees back there. The one leaf that did catch my attention was the one directly over the hawk’s head daggering down at it. Good for you to get the shot out the car window.