Red wing blackbird calling and encouraging social distancing

Quite a few RW BB hanging out at the local refuge and being quite cooperative. Beautiful light on the water this morning but really cold. Taken before the sun hit the water.

I haven’t been around for the last six weeks or so. I’m doing a bathroom remodel in my home.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: iso-8000, 100-400+1.4 extender and APC mode which makes it about 820 mm, F8, 2000, handheld, no flash, shaded, 80% of APC full frame

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Great calling pose and showing the red wings. Good job on blurring what looks to be a busy background. I could see cloning out the bit of lichen on the bottom left.

This is really a great shot of a very difficult bird to capture, at least for me. Great action shot of him, David.

Very nice singing pose and composition, David. There’s an odd smeared look to the plumage on our right of the bird’s face and shoulder. It doesn’t look like it should be a focusing issue and I don’t see motion blur anywhere else (which is unlikely at that shutter speed anyhow).

A nice pose and looks like some noise reduction artifacts present as eagle-eye Dennis mentioned in his critique. Exposure is spot on with just enough highlights present in the plumage to provide structure and depth…Jim