Red-winged Blackbird

Specific Feedback Requested: Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon 7DII; Sigma 150-600 at 600 mm; 1/1000 at f7.1; ISO 6 40

2 Likes

Allen, I love how you caught him on the cat tail. He looks like he is struggling to hang on. I am guessing he just landed there and trying to gain his footing. That BG really makes him stand out nicely. The mouth open is a nice bonus. Great shot, in my opinion.

1 Like

The light is strong but perfect angle here. No harsh shadows and it actually brings out the blacks really well!

1 Like

Very nice action and detail. The open beak is great as is the epaulet. I might consider toning down the cat tail a little and maybe the epaulet, but those are very minor processing thoughts on a very nice image

1 Like

Excellent action and good detail in the black plumage. I could also see toning down the reds with an adjustment layer to bring out more detail.

1 Like

A very nice pose and the open beak suggests you caught him at the start of its song. I would do some selective sharpening on the beak which does not appear as crisp as the head. You could also play around with the highlight slider to tweak back the brights just a tad as others have suggested. Still, an excellent image that reveals the change in seasons. Awesome…Jim

1 Like

I absolutely love this, Allen! Such a wonderful capture to be able to catch the exact moment when they do their little song that shows off the red in the wing. Lovely surroundings too! Great work!

1 Like

Thank you, @Keith_Bauer , for the EP.

Well deserved for a fine image in this week’s group of images.

1 Like

HI Allen
I hope some-day to get to this level of quality on my photographs of Red-wing Blackbirds.
Nice work.
Peter

1 Like

A beautiful job on this blackbird, Allen. Well done and a well-deserved EP.

1 Like

Yes, a well-deserved editors pick.

1 Like