Redwood Trunk on Trunk

A few months ago I was in the one of the Redwood forests for a couple of days and while walking around I noticed this redwood tree growing on top of the trunk of another redwood tree. The downed tree was massive. The smaller tree growing out of the trunk of the downed tree had an incredible root system that wrapped around and through the downed tree and some of the roots went for at least a 100 feet off to the left in this shot. I took this image just for fun but when I saw the weekly challenge, I thought this might fit the bill so I went ahead and processed this one.
Thanks for taking a look!

Specific Feedback Requested

Any and all comments and suggestions are always appreciated.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Nikon Z711, .4 seconds @ f/14, 31mm w/24-70mm lens, ISO 100

1 Like

David, my only question is which trunk is being emphasized… :grin: This is a neat catch of the nurse tree phenomena, with excellent detail in both the fallen giand and in the roots of the youngster.

1 Like

A nice trunk combo and most unusual. I rather like a bit of a pano crop to eliminate the sky in the background and really emphasize the two trunks. Good one.

Wow that’s very cool. Eastern hemlocks often do this - if you see a straight line of saplings, you can bet they are on a nurse log. Sometimes if the forest is especially dense, the nurse log is long turned back to soil and the trees remain small and in their line.

You’ve done quite a good job with the dappled light. I know it is where it is, but you might be able to do some frequency separation and/or clone stamping to spread it into the left side a tiny bit more. The texture and immensity of the big tree is wonderful. I just love redwood forests.

I really like the structure and twist of the roots I would be fine with less upper crop and more feature of those roots.

Thanks for your comments @Mark_Seaver, @Harley_Goldman, @Kris_Smith, and @KenHebert.
Mark, to answer your question… Yes! :grin: