Reflection: Are we the next?

On Boxing Day, me and my wife where taking a walk in the woods. We came across this small creek. I liked the contradiction between the stumps along the creek, and the tall trees reflected in the creek.

… and for the members of the “Nature Poetry Network” (@Ed_McGuirk, @Ben_van_der_Sande, someone else?), here is my very first attmept to write a haiku poem, to be read together with the image

After autumn storms,
reflection we survived
Man with ax nearby

Specific Feedback Requested

Any comments are welcome

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
1.6 sec, f/16, ISO 100

2 Likes

Ola, you might find this article to be interesting, on nature photography and haikus by Colleen Miniuk. It has some interesting thoughts on how the two can go together

1 Like

Ola,The NPN world becomes more and more interesting with these Haikus.
I needed a little time to translate it to dutch. I just love your first attempt .
The article Ed suggest is where I learned to make Haikus and it’s fun to do.
About the image I like images with a story like this one . And now strengthened by your Haiku.

The scene is a good selection to depict your thoughts on survival and reflection. The tall healthy trees of today seem a meaningful juxtaposition to the almost hidden stumps of decades past. Very nice focus through the scene. The off-center framing of the water adds a dynamic sense of unevenness to the scene.
To my eye, the bright green is quite dominant in the image. I gradually darkened left and right, and increased red saturation on the hillside to emphasize autumn, rather than remains of leaves in spring.

1 Like

There is a interesting story here of life and death, or growth and decay. Or things heading in different directions. All these themes apply here. It gets me thinking and engaged in the scene. I really like how you placed the creek off-center for a more dynamic feeling. By showing more of the left side you get a stronger looking concentration of the stumps, which also makes the story stronger.

What really impresses me is that both you @Ola_Jovall and @Ben_van_der_Sande are brave enough to write haikus in a foreign language. My Swedish haikus would be nowhere near as good :laughing:

1 Like

I just want to mention @Colleen_Miniuk here so she can see how haikus are spreading on NPN! :grin:

1 Like

Oh, well seen. The still, vertical trunks in the reflection are such a contrast to the bumpy, chaotic stumps and moss surrounding the water. And you haiku is perfect.

I find this image to fall into the ‘mind bender’ category. It’s not quickly obvious that this is a reflection. Instead, it looks as though we are looking through a gap at growing trees. But the stumps growing on the sides make no sense. This ‘double meaning’ can be intriguing to many viewers. It’s interesting in the same way that solving a riddle is engaging but I’m not a big fan of this approach to landscapes. Well, actually that’s not true. These types 'confusions. can be effective when combined with a statement of double meaning.

I keep looking for things to fix and cannot find anything.

@Ed_McGuirk, @Ben_van_der_Sande, @Dan_Kearl, @Dick_Knudson , @Bonnie_Lampley and @Igor_Doncov thanks for response regarding images and poems. Dick, I like your rework - will try to make similar changes.

This is so great! @Ola_Jovall, wonderful expression through your words and image. A haiku for you all in celebration:

Worth one thousand words?
A picture’s worth one haiku–
Adds to our story.

1 Like