Reflections and shadows

Watched this green heron slowly creep along the shores edge and the shadows reflected against the palm and the water made for interesting double visions of its movement.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any other suggestions for this shot?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

THe shadows and reflections are interesting - but is it too busy a composition?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Nikon D500 Nikon 80-400mm lens with 1.4x TC shot at 1/500sec F8.0 and 550mm. ISO 100.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Ej.jewett

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

I find the shadow and reflection very cool in this image, EJ. It makes for a lot to look at. Technically, when I look at your largest image,nothing seems quite sharp. I’m thinking there might be some issue with camera motion as at 550 mm, 1/500 sec is a pretty minimal shutter speed for a hand held shot. I notice that you were at iso 100, and there’s really not need for that low an iso in a modern digital camera. For birds, I rarely have mine under 640 and usually much higher (though I live in the Pacific Northwest where we often don’t have very much light).

Compositionally, you might trim just a bit off the top and possibly remove what’s left of the bright branch in the upper right corner. Once I noticed that branch it keeps pulling my eye…

I like this image a lot.

1 Like