Refresher

Specific Feedback Requested

All comments are welcome.

Technical Details

1/8sec f/16 ISO 50
ICM

3 Likes

Nice one Andre. I could feel this photo as soon as I looked at it. That makes it a good one in my books. We, like you obviously, have plenty of easily accessible coastline and spend a lot of time there.
The colours you have in this one are wonderful with the progression of tone moving from far left toward and into the centre wave as it turns over. The diagonal line across the point where the waves break balances the image really well for me. Maybe the sky is a bit bland but the proportion of it looks fine to me…must say, I usually have balnd skies in my images as I don’t seem to pay much attention to them when I’m busy sorting out a composition. Cheers.

Great image Andre! Very painterly and looks like a lot of fun experimenting. I really like the color palette. I think the only thing that I would change if it were mine would be trying to tone down the highlights a little, mainly the larger bright spot near the center on the closest wave.

Thanks for the comments @Glenn_Tunaley @Phil_G . Phil, your comment “I could feel this photo as soon as I looked at it” is just what I was going for. I pushed the image to the highkey side of things to go for an open, airy feeling. Glenn, I had to work on the bright spots quite a bit. They lost a little detail with the compression, but I’m good with it.

1 Like

Hi Andre, calm is what I feel when I view your image. Wonderful motion in the waves! Love the light colors. I like how the waves got smaller as they recede into the distance. This adds some nice depth.

As Glenn mentioned, I would suggest bringing down the highlights in the bright parts of the waves. And as far as abstract qualities, I usually avoid the sky in my own abstract work. Just a personal preference. Thank you.

Thanks for the feedback Alfredo.

Andre,

This is MOST Impressive! Why? Because it sure appears that this was created in broad daylight - and given the bright waves, the daylight, etc., how one could get a slow enough shutter speed…? You didn’t mention, but did you have a polarizer or ND? Also impressed because I’ve had terrible results in these conditions! But you’ve now inspired me to keep trying next time I’m at the coast!

I’m wondering how important is the sky? It certainly provides context and helps with keeping the overal format/ratio a pleasing one. But one question I try and remember to ask is: If something isn’t adding to the image, is it then actually taking away? I’m just unsure the sky is providing any value other than context… then again, I’m not sure the resulting crop looks as good. Hence my quandry…

For certain though, I LOVE the results; the color you’ve captured in the waves, especially on the left and also the receeding patters of waves are working beautifully.

Thanks for sharing this and inspiring more trips to the ocean!

Lon

ps. I would like to hear more about the conditions, the light, time of day, etc. thanks!

Hey Lon,
Thanks for your comprehensive comments.
It’s great that you are feeling inspired.
Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.
Speaking of being inspired, I’ve been trying to get my blog going again and I think this will be a great topic to start me up.
I’ll make sure to cover your queries.
Hopefully, I should have this done in a couple days.
Thank YOU for the inspiration.

1 Like

This is very nice Andre; I love the soft pastel color you got here as well the soft movement (fell like soft and small brush strokes).
I do agree you could try to tone down the highlights a tad. But my main concern is the sky - for me it’s not adding anything to the picture. I would crop it out integrally.

Gorgeous!! Not much I can add to the points above. The sky is a bit of a question mark for me – I think it’s important to show the horizon – that gives the image a scale and a 3D effect, but I wonder about removing about half of the sky, or adding a very subtle gradient?

@joaoquintela @Diane_Miller Thanks for the kind comments and feedback.