resilience born of perseverance

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I spotted the tree as I was driving along a backroad towards the end of summer. A storm was brewing behind and luckily I was able to capture an image.

Specific Feedback

I have keep the colours muted and made the tree the centre of the composition. I feel this adds to the drama. do people agree with this and if not are there any suggestions to improve the image or just let it go.

Technical Details

Canon 5dsr ISO 320 70-200mm @200mm f 4.0 ss 1/250

1 Like

The background is very evocative of an impending storm. I think the tree needs to be brightened up to make it the subject. Conventional wisdom states that putting an object in the center does not necessarily bring attention to an object.

David, I love the basic feel and mood of this image, but consider a few suggestions:
The image is about a stop underexposed, and no problem underexposing for mood, but in this case, the image loses its brilliance. Try brightening the image by one stop (+1.00). That will brighten the warm grasses and will let more light into the right side of the frame, to balance the more prominent light rays on the left. And the tree will become brighter, hopefully, to separate the foreground tree from the background, but, alas, it is too dark to separate and remains merged, creating a nondescript area. Not good. I know this is your chosen composition, but consider that moving to the right or left (preferably left because of the light) to a lower part of the tree line, would completely separate the subject tree. Granted it would be a slightly different composition, but the subject would be separated from the background giving you a more easily viewable composition (easier to edit).

Thanks Tony , I tried increasing the exposure and moving to the left but still can’t get the separation. Something to remember for next time.

You’re very welcome, David. Just what we need… one more thing to think about!