Resting Dove

Re-Work

Do not know why but when I look a this image it makes me happy and calm.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any and All plus content What story does this tell?

Technical Details

Lumix S5

1 Like

That is awesome, Steve. The lighting is incredible. And you’re right, very peaceful. I might consider cropping a touch from the left so that the bird isn’t center, but that’s a minor thing. Was this the actual lighting you captured, or did you do some post processing magic?

1 Like

Me too, Steve. It truly has a safe room feel about it for sure. A gorgeous scene with the perfect light stream too… :sunglasses:

1 Like

Thanks @David_Bostock and @Paul_Breitkreuz
The image was in Texas narley bush under a building overhang. The lighting was due to the dynamic range being too strong. I like this lighting I use it a lot, wading birds hang out on the edge of swamps and create the same DR situation.
Thanks again
Steve
I forgot how do you like the crop?

2 Likes

The crop works perfectly. A much more impactful image, Steve. Well done.

1 Like

I like the re-worked crop; as David said it gives more impact to the dove. Great light on the dove and the story does convey a restful mood. Well done.

1 Like

Gorgeous, Steve. I agree with the soft, calming gentle feel. I also agree, the crop works nicely.

1 Like

Absolutely stunning! Wonderful light and a gorgeous BG! It definitely gives me a feeling of peace and optimism. The BG is almost spooky so I’m not sure why my reaction is so positive, except that it is just so wonderfully artistic. It pulls me in to linger on it. And the detail in the branch is also gorgeous.

I would go halfway in between on the crop, but that’s entirely creative leeway.

The lighting is intriguing but I’m trying to figure out what you meant about DR – I assume you meant whites were too bright and darks too dark, so you made some adjustment? I don’t know (or remember) the software you use, so just curious about the technique. It’s interesting, but sometimes I feel it’s gone farther than I would, so wondering how adjustable it is. I don’t have that feeling here, though, as you have lovely detail in the BG and darker tones. But I might wonder about pulling back the highlights a very slight amount.

There is more noise in the lighter tones, which is also surprising as it is usually worse in the darks.

The lighting is superb, Steve. It really creates a mood. I don’t mind the centered composition in this case, but if I were going to crop it, I think I’d take it off the right instead of the left-just my taste.

1 Like