Rhody

Another shot from a walk on the Oregon State campus.

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon 7DII; 100 mm macro lens; 1/320 at f4.5 ISO 100; -1/3 EV; hand held.

Such a beautiful cluster of flowers, Allen. Love the colors.

1 Like

A beautiful Rhody cluster, Allen. You handled the lighting very well. I think more depth of field would be nice here and I find something a little jarring about the in-focus bloom pointing down, away from the viewer and out of the frame. Kind of like bird photography, the flower needs room in the direction it’s “looking”.

1 Like

Good point, Dennis (@Dennis_Plank). I’m pretty new to floral photography, so I’m hoping to learn as much about this aspect of photography as I did from all of you bird photographers.

There are a few things that I suggest you try to improve this image. First, darken the background. Second, place the flower in the center and third, give more room around the bloom so it isn’t cut off on the left and bottom edges. Would be well worth the extra effort.

1 Like

Allen, the colors are lovely with a fine mix of pastel pinks and dark reds. I think this looks very good and I like how you show off the stamen and pistil in the lower left. I do think that getting all of the petals at the bottom and shifting the cluster a bit right in the frame would be good.

1 Like