Out for a Walk

We go for a walk almost every day and try to find a place where we can social distance. Oregon State University is closed and one can walk the campus and rarely see another person, but the flowers are in proficient bloom. No idea what this is, but liked the colors. Critiques would be helpful as I don’t usually do floral (though enjoy viewing the site to see what others have done). My own thoughts are there’s a couple of water droplets that seem too large and the bottom of the flower is out of focus.

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon 7DII; 100 mm macro; 1/250 at f4.5, -1/3 EV; ISO 100

Allen: Don’t be a stranger here, especially if you can come up with shots like this. I’m pretty sure this is a poppy of some sort judging by the center details and petal structure. I don’t mind the slightly OOF petal edges. The center details are the critical elements when it comes to selective focus and this is spot on. I think the drops are icing on a nice cake. Well done. >=))>

1 Like

Allen
I think Bill is correct - a poppy and an usual one. Very lovely photo! Well done! Enjoy your walks !!

1 Like

Allen, this is quite dramatic and very lovely. The details in the flower, especially it’s center stand out very well. Getting a few water drops is a fine added bonus. Well seen.

1 Like

I think you hit on the key item, Allen. The water drops are fine with me, and I love your colors and your point of focus. In flower photography, there’s a great deal of dependence on depth of field as well as the focal point. You usually have busy backgrounds, so too much depth of field creates problems there, but when shooting close to a flower, your depth of field is quite limited unless (and sometimes even then) you go to very small apertures. If you’re lucky enough not to have too much wind, live view is extremely helpful, so you can really see your depth of field.

I like this image, but I would prefer that the foreground petals on the bottom with the interesting water drops were in focus, letting the upper petals go out, if necessary.

1 Like

I believe this is a variety of Chinese rockii tree peony. (Check out Cricket Hill Garden’s website) Since the flower has single petals the plane of focus could be better to give more in focus and still give the blurred background.