Rialto Beach ICM

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

A horridly unimaginative title. My wife and I were staying a 10 minute drive from this beach last week we managed a half hour there between rain squalls on the first full day. Since it was a very dull day and I’ve been trying to practice this technique, I set up the tripod, leveled it, brought the shutter speed down, and panned while holding down the shutter release. This was one of my two favorites.

Specific Feedback

I think it’s pretty obvious what this is, so I’m not even sure it belongs in this forum, but I like the feeling of flow and serenity that I get from this image (even though the water was actually pretty tempestuous that day). Does that feeling come across to you?

Technical Details

Sony A7Riv, Sigma 28-70 f/2.8 contemporary @ 42.3 mm, tripod with ball head, f/18, 1/15, iso 125, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Cropped to 9288x5208. One small seamount that popped above the horizon line removed because it disrupted the flow of the image. Played with some tonal adjustments and black and white conversions, but couldn’t find anything I liked better, so this is essentially unadjusted in that respect.

Looks like an abstract image to me, Dennis. The smoothness (perfect settings) have created a beautifully tranquil scene. Lovely to look at and enjoy.

Dennis, happy to see you try ICM! Seascapes are a great opportunity to practice the technique. Yes I do get the feeling of tranquility and calmness from the image. I like the muted tones in the image. Also like the layers in the image.

While I like the band of waves in the center, I’m mostly drawn to the line and tones in the bottom half of the image. I think that could result in a minimalist image to show the relationship of water, sand, and various tones. Something to think about next time out in a similar location.

What a Seinfeld photograph … about nothing, but I can watch it with fascination for a long time. I enjoy the feeling of motion.