River Carved Chronicles: The Journey of Wood and Water

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

The driftwood’s symphony of lines, a visual harmony played out on the Hawkesbury’s banks. Spent half a day drifting.

Specific Feedback

Any feedback welcomed.

Technical Details

128 mm at ISO 100 and 1⁄100sec at ƒ/9
64 mm at ISO 100 and 1⁄200sec at ƒ/11
50 mm at ISO 100 and 1⁄5sec at ƒ/11
89 mm at ISO 100 and 1⁄400sec at ƒ/6.3

2 Likes

Wonderfully tactile! If the LRC of the last one were not quite so dark, it would be my favourite, with that little shell. It comes in a close second behind that beautifully knobbly third shot. Perfect Project material IMHO. Well seen and taken.

Hi Don, thanks for sharing these awesome abstracts. Just a reminder to please share 1 or 2 images for critique at a time. Some of my thoughts below:

#1: Nice side lighting that highlights the great texture in the bark. The darker section with the sap in the upper right sticks out but cropping it out would eliminate some of the interesting patterns.

#2: This one could use a small crop in to eliminate that dark triangle in the upper right. Cool lines in this one.

#3: Like the square crop. Fantastic texture and patterns which gives the image some depth.

#4: Agree with Mike regarding that dark section in the lower right corner. Would like to see a crop to include the 2 eyes, mouth, and small rock. Lots of potential in this image.

@Alfredo_Mora @Mike_Friel

Thanks for the feedback appreciate the thoughts, I have taken your advice and modified the images, would love to hear your views on these. Sorry about the multiple upload wasn’t aware there was a limit to the multiple upload feature.

1 Like

All of these are really nice, Saundie. I have a love of knots so the first and third appeal to me the most, though the others have really interesting textures. I agree that the dark area in the upper right of the first image is a minor drawback, bu your repost took care of that and that lovely diagonal group of knots was what really made the image and you retained them. I could see mellowing out the highlights a bit in the third image, but it does remind me of the topography in the canyon country of our southwest where the light is usually harsh.

1 Like

A day checking out and photographing driftwood, is a day well spent! And to come away with such nice images, too. I like your updated images. And like how the perspective is difficult to pin down. Are you close on wood or far back on a rock formation. My mind goes back and forth. Good abstract images, like yours, will do that well.

1 Like

Thanks Dennis, yes they are like those topographical relief maps, especially the third one. Thanks for your thoughts much appreciated!

Thanks Patrick I agree a back and forth mind is a good thing, I am happy that they did that for you. A day photographing anything out in nature for me is a win. Thanks for the feedback. :+1:

I like your first image the most but I would crop it thusly.

Thanks Igor appreciate your take.

A fine collection of driftwood images you have here Don. #3 is my favorite because of its pronounced “map relief” appearance. Also like #4 a lot with the tiny shell (?) buried in the grain. All are well lit while evoking a sense of mystery.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback Jim! :pray: