Roaming

I was leaving Great Sand Dunes National Park and caught this image on the way. Thought it put the scale of the range in BG into perspective.

Specific Feedback Requested

Comp and Processing.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
70mm, f/11, 1/500, iso 200

2 Likes

Hello Mario! I really love this photo and having the cows really adds interest to a vast landscape. They are perfectly spaced too! I like that you did it in black and white as well. That brings out the cow shapes more and gives it an old fashioned style! Great capture!

This is nice. I like how the light on the FG makes for some patterns that mimic the clouds. The cows are a nice touch and add some scale.

I would suggest a crop to emphasize the vastness. A crop would emphasize the dominant horizontal lines and break up that 50/50 composition. I would remove half of the sky from the top frame to the top of the mountain.

I like this image very much! A matter of personal taste, but eventually the darkest parts of the mountain side could be a tad lighter to reveal a hint more of structure.

I agree with Ola about the shadows, but I like the sky and think it does two things - mimics the pattern in the grasses (as noticed by Mike) and further illustrates the scale of things. My time in the Tetons yielded similar images to this and I always liked including the sky because just when you think the mountains are big, there’s the sky. The endless sky. It puts everything in its place. The cows add a bit of a human scale factor which is always important.

So with that said, I’d play with things so that the sky and ground are more in harmony and the deepest mountain shadows have a bit more detail. Not too much since it’s the grandness we want to see. Oh and I like the B&W choice as well. Classic.

Agree about the detail and was able to bring a small amount out. I do p[refer the big sky view and small buffalo to yield the scale however.
Thank you @Ola_Jovall @Michael_Lowe @Vanessa_Hill @Kris_Smith @Igor_Doncov for the comments.

1 Like