Robin

What technical feedback would you like if any?any

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Welcome to NPN, John. Nice landing pose; a good action shot. I like the holly leaves and berries; adds a nice touch. Generally it’s helpful to post your technical data( not just for better critiquing, but its interesting to see what others are using and for those of us still learning, what works in taking the shots.) Looks to be a bit of noise in the far wing, but otherwise good detail. I might see if some of the highlights on the breast can be decreased. Look forward to more of your work.

Neat shot, John! My only urge would be go in and clone out that black metal deal. Welcome to ya.

Thanks Allen, I use a tent for capturing my bird shots with a Canon 100 X400 and 1.4 extender. I enjoy shots of the birds in action. Did not realize how much the Robins loved holly berries. I use my feeder to attract all types of birds and place holly branches for background and bird food.

Welcome to NPN John! I really like the action you captured with the wings spread. I would second cloning out the black metal thing. I also wish the background was cleaner but that looks like it was not in your control. Otherwise this is a solid action shot. I usually just end up with static bird on a stick in my backyard, the BIF shots are my photographic nemesis.

Just cloned out the metal post. It does help the picture, thanks.

1 Like

Welcome to NPN and the Avian Forum, John. This is an excellent image with great wing position. I suspect the Robin was about to land on the metal post, but the version with it gone still works fine. The light streak across the top is a bit of a distraction. I don’t know what your original file looks like, but ideally a bit more room on the left side of the image and a bit less on the right to give the robin more room in the direction it’s headed would be nice. Framing action shots is really difficult, though with modern sensors we can crop quite a bit-especially for web presentation.

I like this a lot and I’m looking forward to more of your posts and I hope you’ll take the time to comment on others posts.

Thanks Dennis, Your post and suggestions are appreciated. I agree on the light streak but not able to alter the left side of frame. Thanks again, still learning .

Hi John. Always nice to get that first post in!! It is a dandy. Lovely pose from the Robin with lots of detail. Very sharp.
I sometimes try to get back yard shots as well. I always have to work hard to get nice clean uncluttered back grounds and perches.

Looking forward to seeing more. I also just joined up a few weeks ago.

Dave

Thanks David, Using a tent gets me close even with my 100x200mm telephoto and 1.4 extension. Just recently moved the tent to get a better or less cluttered background. Less limbs and more branches. This is a learning experience.
Wayne