Rock Ptarmigan and the Flip Side

One from our June trip to Nome this year that I ran across looking for an image for a print exchange. After processing and printing this, it occurred to me that it might look better flipped. So here are both versions.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Anything you notice.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Which version do you prefer? Why, if you can articulate it.

Any pertinent technical details:

7DII, Sigma 150-600 C @ 388 mm, f/8, 1/6400, iso 1000, aperture priority, pattern metering, -1 EV. Processed in LR & PS CC. Used content aware crop to add some canvas to the top and left while removing the same amount from the bottom and right, so the final image is the same size as the original.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Very interesting comparison. For some reason I noticed the grass more in the top image as compared to the bottom image. I suppose that is because we are so innately trained to look from left to right. How would another culture who is trained to look from right to left feel about these two images? Good job on the lighting, detail, and pose.

I like this a lot. IQ is excellent, as is the pose and setting. For some reason, I prefer the one where the bird is pointing to the left. I seem to be having the opposite reaction to David, where I notice the grass behind the bird’s back more in the bottom frame. I do see what appears to be a processing artifact on the left side of the frame, about halfway up, maybe an inch from the left edge of the frame (on the top frame).

Thanks, Lyle. I thought I’d caught all those issues. For some reason it seems to me that the latest PS update that added the ability to select the area for content aware fill made the default work worse. But maybe I’m just giving it harder situations to deal with. There was quite a bit of patching to do after the fill on this one.

I still haven’t given in and subscribed to Adobe CC, which means I am still using CS 6. But that also means I am doing everything the “old fashioned way!” Ha.

I was following that route until I got a new computer. I forgot and removed PS from my old one without first going through the license removal process with Adobe. Then I didn’t have any “seats” left on the account and I couldn’t get through to anyone at Adobe to help. They seemed to have one person in India for legacy software support and his script was limited to “remove and reinstall” which did nothing but use up a big chunk of my monthly data allotment.

Ha. Sounds exactly like my experiences with Adobe. I am holding out hope that Capture One Pro will keep adding features such that PS is no longer necessary for me. C1P is getting closer every year.

This bird looks very familiar! :grin:
Fine detail and comp.
For some reason, possibly David’s explanation, I seem to prefer birds and animals looking to the right. I do in these images as well.
Great memories!
Sandy