Rogue River Feeder

Well, it’s not feeding much water in August.

This was shot at a time when wildfires were raging nearby. Strangely enough, the smoke diffused the midday light and created pretty good shooting conditions. Everything had a light brown tinge which I liked in some of the images. This one has had no processing other than a slight crop and smidgeon of sharpening.

Right away, I knew this was made during fire season. That atmosphere is becoming unmistakable. It actually does make for an interesting ambience.

Igor, this does convey, hot, dry, and smokey even as it looks like a very interesting spot to explore. The change in clarity from front to back is quite dramatic.

My eyes can attest to that. They were burning all day long. I ended up searching the net for parts of Oregon where the smoke was less intense. That was the year of the Columbia Gorge wildfire. No fires so far this year however, even though we’ve had lightning storms pass through just this week.

Nice cell phone landscape, Igor! I recognized that forest fire light immediately. Alaska has a lot of wild fires going right now and most of the state is covered in smoke. This shot is nice and sharp for a cell phone and I like the composition that focuses on the almost dried up stream (which amplifies the concept of dryness and wild fires).

1 Like

Gary, we were surprised to see burned trees along the Prudhoe Bay highway above the Arctic Circle on our trip to Alaska. Everything seemed so wet (it rained 26 out of the 31 days we were in Alaska) that it was hard to imagine anything burning up there. Yet that’s what we saw near Coldfoot.