Roof Ravens

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I was out back this winter looking for a subject to shoot while it was snowing and heard, then spotted this pair of ravens on a neighbor’s rooftop. This was my favorite pose that they offered.

Technical Details

Z9, 180-600 lens, Nikon 1.4 TC, 1/500th, f 9.0, 1260mm, ISO 800, monopod, cropped to 3284 x 2532.

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:
1 Like

I like this quite a bit, but then some of my favorite birds are ravens. It’s appealing because often raven photos are forbidding, dark and deliberately scary, but this is light and playful even if the weather is harsh. It speaks to the toughness needed to endure most winters. I like that their attention has been attracted to something and it makes me wonder what. Good detail and depth to the blacks.

I find myself wondering what they are thinking. The texture and detail in the snow suggest how cold it must be. I agree with @Kris_Smith about surviving the winters. The position of the birds suggests the strength of the relationship between them.

Dave your image captures the stark beauty of winter through the lens of two ravens perched on a snow-covered rooftop. The snowflakes add a magical touch, making the scene feel like something straight out of Game of Thrones, with its wintery ambiance and sense of quiet intensity.

The balance between the two birds creates a strong visual impact, with one raven calling out while the other stands stoically, adding a dynamic narrative to the image. The framing is excellent, placing the ravens in a way that draws the viewer’s eye directly to them, emphasizing their interaction against the soft, blurred background of falling snow.

Dave, this is a fine catch of these two Ravens in a heavy snow (perfect conditions for b&w…). It’s good that you can see both eyes, while the steps in the roofline add extra interest. One does wonder why they are looking up (or what are they thinking)?