Rooster Man

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

On my way to Yellowstone last July I had the experience of staying each night at assorted ranches along the way through Harvest Hosts/ Boondockers Welcome. Maybe it just illustrates how citified my upbringing was, but when I heard, then saw this elegant rooster scratching at the edges of the 120 chickens coop I was struck by his amazing color. Never seen a rooster like that before! And he was hard to shoot cuz he was so engrossed in getting to the hens. So I put my ISO up to 3200 on my Z8 and captured him at 250s and 400 mm in the shade in one of his less mobile moments. Then returned to my Rv and stripped, trying to cool down in 110 degree heat with no A/C.

Later, traveling through the Palouse, an intentional detour just to see how it looked midsummer, I had to stop and pop out my iPhone 13 Pro Max to capture this one scene in broad daylight. The info screen says 77mm at f 2.8 and the editing (just a crop and adjusting hilights) was done on the phone. There were many brown just plowed fields alternating with gold as yet unplowed one in these rolling hills which were quite lovely, but I especially love curves and this one field with alternating grass and bare soil furrows against a backdrop of rolling hills really stood out for me. I do wonder if less sky at the top would enhance it.

Specific Feedback

Any comments/critiques welcome

Technical Details

Included in narrative

Rebecca, thank you participating. Both photos are quite colorful. I agree that the colors in the rooster are amazing. I do see some haloing around him, so I’m guessing that you applied an Orton effect. BTW, since this rooster is a tame animal in an enclosure he is not allowed under the NPN guidelines for Wildlife and the Weekly Challenge follows the NPN guidelines as well as not allowing “non-nature” photos unless specifically stated otherwise in the challenge description.

I think the sky fits well in the Palouse photo. You’ve got a fine sense of curving eye movement following the plow lines and the curves of the hills and fields. There is a strong halo along the crest of the hill that is a processing artifact and another processing artifact along the left side.

Oh. I didn’t realize that rule about the non wildlife. Thanks for telling me. And those artifacts have got to be iPhone editing sequellae…never very good quality. Do you know how I can actually get the weekly challenge announcements. I signed up but nothing happened. Do I need to do something more?

And thanks for taking the time on my stuff, especially since it wasn’t quite legit!

Rebecca

| Mark Seaver Weekly Challenge Moderator
October 4 |

• | - |

Rebecca, thank you participating. Both photos are quite colorful. I agree that the colors in the rooster are amazing. I do see some haloing around him, so I’m guessing that you applied an Orton effect. BTW, since this rooster is a tame animal in an enclosure he is not allowed under the NPN guidelines for Wildlife and the Weekly Challenge follows the NPN guidelines as well as not allowing “non-nature” photos unless specifically stated otherwise in the challenge description.

I think the sky fits well in the Palouse photo. You’ve got a fine sense of curving eye movement following the plow lines and the curves of the hills and fields. There is a strong halo along the crest of the hill that is a processing artifact and another processing artifact along the left side.

Rebecca, you can sign up for the WC announcement, go to the WC page (under Community) and click on the first link “Get Notified…”. However a couple of days ago the sign up didn’t seem to be working, but it’s supposed to be fixed now, so you may need to sign up again. Yes, iPhones are “notorious” for all of the extra processing that they do behind the scenes.