Roots To Water

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I was driving and saw this pond. There was a tree with really nice roots right by the pond. I thought it was interesting enough to stop and shot some different ideas.

Specific Feedback

Can’t make up my mind if the sepia tone works for this or just go black and white. It does give that Old School look in some ways. Film and darkroom approach ???

Technical Details

shutter 400 ISO 800 f 14 edited in Photoshop.

Gill, I like the sepia tone in the image. Those twisted roots have potential. If you happen to be by this scene again and if you wanted to record something more abstract, I would recommend getting focusing in the the root patterns. Lots of interesting lines and shapes in them.

As presented, I feel my attention is competing for either the top portion with the roots or the reflection with the dark shapes. Nothing wrong with presenting both in one image but just something to consider next time.

Thanks for showing interest. I felt the two ideas went together. Lots of photographs showing beautiful root and trees. Check out Beth Moon. I just went for a different vibe. Two ideas in one photo. At the pond they went hand in hand. I may return and shot some variations as you suggested.
Thanks again.

Gill, I apologize at providing my initial reaction without further consideration of the perspective you just shared. I “see” the image now. Fascinating what is revealed in the reflection but is hidden from the subject up top. Two ideas in one photo as you mentioned. Quite interesting!

Thanks. Reflection photography is a cool vibe to look at certain subjects. Getting the pond and roots gave a different perspective. Check out Beth Moon online. Amazing tree photography

1 Like

Gill,

I think you had great vision here and you’ve captured/told a great story. I immediately got the idea of “Roots to Water” and quite literally the message came thru that the roots on tree and shore are connected directly to the water. Great idea and capture.

Interesting because I do think the story being told and the literal interpretation of “roots to water” is a very strong impression for me. But artistically and execution, I think the water is very heavy with the darkness of the reflection trunk and the dark reflections that are kind of featureless. I do like the smaller, leafless branches in the lower left area.

Regarding the sepia, I think the top looks great. What’s interesting the water/reflection looks like it’s straight b&w and not sepia toned? Maybe it’s just an illusion, but it doesn’t look like the same toning top and bottom; but for sure I like the toning applied up top.

Good eye spotting and recognizing the potential!