Rose-breasted Grosbeak, Female + Repost

I get a fair number of these neotropical beauties in the spring, migrating through on their way to their breeding grounds further north. They stopover to rest and refuel, then continue north.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any

Technical Details

Canon 60D, Canon 70-300 IS USM Zoom @ 250mm, f/5.6, 1/750 sec., ISO 1000. Processed in ACR and PSE 2020 for exposure and cropping. Topaz De-noise applied. Photo captured April 3, 2022.

Beautiful. The pose, position in the frame, all lead to a wonderful image, Terry.

1 Like

Very nice, with a contemplative pose and a nice branch and BG.

I wonder about some low-opacity cloning to tone down the bright areas in the LL and in the LR corner.

1 Like

Thanks @David_Bostock. I appreciate your comments.

Thanks @Diane_Miller. I did consider toning down those areas originally. I’ll take a stab at it and repost.

Terry, we had some visiting us in MD two weeks ago, their visits are always a treat. Both the bird and it’s perch are strong visual elements. You can strengthen them with a modest crop from the bottom and left. That would remove the bright spot in the lower right corner.

Hey @Mark_Seaver, I, too always anticipate the arrival of the Grosbeaks. I thought this years’ migrants had moved on, since they don’t nest here in Oklahoma, but I was just outside and there was a male in one of the feeders - possibly a new arrival overnight. It’s been raining here since early morning, so he may have dropped out due to the weather. Glad you saw some in MD. At any rate, I had reworked this photo a bit, but never reposted. Thanks for your suggestion; hope you find the repost an improvement.

Repost works very well. Better color balance. Grosbeak’s are excellent subjects. We get a few species up here in the spring but not the Rose grosbeak.