Rose-breasted Grosbeak, Male

A week ago, one of these birds showed up at my feeders, but he left. I wondered if I would get any more. Yesterday, three males and a female showed up. These Neotropical migrants don’t breed in Oklahoma; he’s just passing through.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 60D, Canon 70-300mm IS USM zoom @ 225mm, f/5.6, 1/350 sec., ISO 1000, Hand Held. Processed in ACR and PSE 2020 for exposure, sharpness, and cropping. Topaze De-noise applied.

Nice grab. Good sharpness throughout and an unusual view! This bird looks intense. We usually have them nesting nearby. You’re gonna make me up my game!

Nice job, Terry. The detail in the bird is good and it’s a nice pose with lots of potential energy. The perch is nice and depth of field is excellent.

Wonderful job on this image. Get the exposure, colors, and depth of field right on. Although we get both Black Headed and Evening Grosbeaks in the Pacific Northwest, this species doesn’t make it to Washington state. And I have yet to see any Grosbeaks the spring. It may be a little early.

Terry, what a beautiful bird, and captured so nicely. I haven’t seen any of these, so I guess they are just a western bird.

We had them when I lived in New Hampshire.

Hi, Shirley. Thank you. It appears they migrate over most of the eastern part of the U.S. If interested, you can view this animated migration map from ebird to see when they might be in your area. https://ebird.org/science/status-and-trends/robgro/abundance-map-weekly

1 Like

Thanks @_Kris. I wish they nested here. I’ll bet their fledglings are so homely they’re cute! Game on! :joy:

Thanks, @Dennis_Plank . He gave me a great pose with which to work.

Thanks, @David_Schoen . We get the rare Evening Grosbeak here, and sometimes the Black Headed. The next Grosbeak I’m waiting for is the Blue. I haven’t seen one yet this spring.