Rose Breasted Grosbeak

Description:

Spring migration is finally in full swing with new arrivals hiding in new foliage. Rose breasted grosbeaks seem to move in slow motion which makes them a reasonable target for nature photographers. This male was eating midges that it could find in the poplar leaves. One of the midges is visible in flight below the bird.

Specific Feedback Requested:

Comp OK?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

D500 600mm f4 (1/1600 sec at f8.0, ISO 1000) Crop for comp, Topaz DeNoise, Levels, Brightness & Contrast.
Is this a composite? No

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

jameszablotny

Hi Jim
Nice framing ( I like the spacing). The Grosbeak looks great. You did a very good job, with the eye contact and contrast range and the mosquito is a nice touch.
Peter

1 Like

Very good, Jim. I love the spring green of the leaves and how it contrasts with the bold tones of the Grosbeak. It’s interesting that a bird with that kind of beak would be eating midges, but I’ve come to believe that the obligatory herbivores among the bird world rarely are.

1 Like

A lovely bird very well-photographed in a gorgeous setting! For me, the bird and the slump of leaves next to it are such a lovely composition, I wondered about a crop. Your composition feels too heavy on the right side. Here’s my take, FWIW. Maybe even more off the top…

1 Like

Really nice capture, Jim. The leaves really accent the bold colors of the Grosbeak.

1 Like

Excellent image. I really like the posted balance with the out of focus leaves in the background. There’s just enough depth of field to really isolate the bird and its perch very well. Head turn and pose are perfect for the species. Just a question: do you handhold your 600 or is it on a tripod?

1 Like

Jim: Nice frame. I think your composition is very nice. Shows enough of the environment to make it all work and the position of the bird in the frame is nice. I like it as is.

1 Like

Hi Jim, What’s not to like about this shot. The bird’s attitude is perfect as is the BG and the contrasting leaves makes everything pop. Wonderful photo.
Wayne

1 Like