Roseate Spoonbill

Another from the rookery last week. This guy was perched there for a couple of minutes and seemed very relaxed. I cropped 90% off the right to decenter it. Could have cropped a little more, but I didn’t see a good way because the tallow branch wouldn’t look right partially cropped.
My position wasn’t preplanned, but it worked out that the rest of the branches framed it fairly well. I don’t mind that the feet aren’t very visible, because I think they are among the ugliest of most all bird species, and the ankles wouldn’t win any beauty pageants either. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

7D2, 400 DO II and 1.4x, Sidekick on GT2531, ISO 400, 1/1600 f6.3, -1/3EV

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Nice pose and nicely framed by the foliage and stands out well from the background with good detail and color. Nice!

Bill: Very nice frame. The setting is really nice. Glad you were able to catch him in this pose and this location. Coloration is really nice with just enough room around the bird. Nicely done.

A very nice pose and the framing works very well, Bill. An excellent image. If I were to do anything to this image, it would be to remove the little clump of out of focus blue/green leaves that stick in on the middle left of the frame. For some reason, they really draw my eye.

Hi Bill, yes the feet aren’t what make these birds so appealing. Very nice pose you caught with fine exposure. I like seeing the small amount of orange in the tail - an aspect that isn’t always visible. Nice framing with the branches. Well done!

Beautifully framed by the green trees and branches. Out of focus background is perfect with just enough detail to make it interesting. Pose, detail, and head turn are all perfect. Nice work.

Bill: I don’t think you could have asked for better pose and framing. There’s one detail in the bird and it stands out very nicely against the oof background. Well done. Richard

Hello, Bill, of course the subject is already a treat, but the overall setting, pose and natural framing works extremely well here ! Cheers, Hans

Wow, Bill, this is really a great shot. I like the way his head is turned slightly, making a really nice pose. He is framed in nicely, with an excellent background to make him stand out. Well done!