Round and Round

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I got this handsome CA quail standing on some river rock at the edge of our driveway. I like how he fit right in in the diffused light.

Specific Feedback

Cropping?

Technical Details

D500, Nikon 200-500 lens, monopod, cropped to 2845 x 3291, 1000th, f 8.0, 1050mm, ISO 4600.

2 Likes

The crop looks fine to me, Dave, but it looks like the AF locked on to the rock behind and right of the quail for some strange reason.

Hi Dave, I love these birds and have only seen them once while visiting the west coast. Nice angle and pose on the bird but agree with Dennis about the focus locking on behind the bird.

Overall, I like this image, and I think the crop works well, specifically because the quail is the same shape and similar in color to the rocks. These are hard birds to capture; I frequently see them at a distance here in Northern California but they don’t let me get too close!

Great combination of the rocks and bird; makes for an interesting image.

Hi Dave…I think the crop works but it might be better if you had a little more room along the bottom and the left side. The bird is looking to the left and down so I think it might be more balanced with the room mentioned but it works as is. You may not have much room to work with so I get it. I love the title. Round and round. Perfect!!
I agree about the focus locking on the rock to the left and behind the bird. These are smaller and faster than they look and scurry if you get anywhere near them so good on you to grab this image. That rock looks pretty crunchy so you could get rid of the sharpening on that rock so it’s not so noticeable but otherwise, You got a good quail image here. If he frequents your property (lucky you) maybe you can get him again.