Ruby Crowned Kinglet on Mahonia

I was shooting a very territorial Emma’s hummingbird on this Mahonia and this little guy showed up … very briefly.

I would like to learn to take more bird photos, so any technical and artistic feedback is very welcome.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon 5DIII EF100-400 ISII +1.4 III 520m 1/800 sec f8 ISO 1000
Topaz sharpen AI w/Noise red and PS Smart Sharpen for 2 small areas.

A nice image with good color and detail. Would be better with a little bit of a head turn towards the camera. I believe your referring to an Anna’s and not Emma’s hummingbird if this is the Pacific Northwest.

This must be a tiny bird to be perching on that leaf! The head turn is what you were given so I accept it. My only suggestions would be a slight burn of the lighter areas on the right edge, and maybe some toning down or slight cropping of the yellow flowers. The bird and the leaf it is on is the interesting part, to me.

My first thought was a head turn towards the camera would be nice, but as I keep looking at the image, it works with the kinglet looking at the flowers-kind of like a leading line. Nice to be able to catch the ruby crown. A nice complementary color palette.

I am of the head turn school of thought. Getting that eye looking at the viewer just makes the image that much more " attractive" I think. Good job on this one other than that. I like the placement of the bird in the frame.