Ruddy Turnstone (non-breeding adult)

These are migratory at this location (Tybee Island, GA). Time of day was mid-morning, warm, clear to partly cloudy. The unedited RAW file looked flat, the bird’s color cool and the sand a concrete gray.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

I warmed the picture to what I felt was appropriate to the actual conditions. I also darkened the midtones of the bird slightly. Using a content aware crop. I raised the top, cut the bottom and expanded the left side. How do the crop and the white balance appear to you? How does the sharpening and detail look to you? Is the subject too large in the frame?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

There is not much artistic going on here except the bird was walking and there is a slight head turn. I was on my knees for this shot, braced against an old piling.

Any pertinent technical details:

Camera Info: Nikon D500, HH, braced against piling
Lens: VR 300mm f/4E + 1.4x TC
Focal Length: 420mm
Focus Mode: AF-C
AF-Area Mode: Dynamic, 25 points
VR: ON
Aperture: f/6.3
Shutter Speed: 1/1250s
Exposure Mode: Aperture Priority
Exposure Comp.: 0EV
Metering: Spot
ISO Sensitivity: ISO 400
53% of full frame
PP in LR/PS CC 2018. Camera Raw filter. Topaz Studio, TK sharpen for web @ 30%

Hi Phil
I like the walking, low angle and detail. It would have been nice to see a larger frame.
Peter

I have to compliment you on your image processing. From the RAW description you really brought it to life. Goes to show there are better means than brightness/contrast controls, for sure. There’s just a “sparkle” to the apparent lighting that pushes it into the perfect lighting category. The shadow looks a little faded upon detailed study, but in fact I’d have been reducing that if the shot had been taken in more contrasty light.

Peter, I thought I had more but it was all to the right of the cropped image. Since I had already added content aware canvas, I am reluctant to add more on the LHS, where it is needed. It would probably be OK, but I think I will pass.

I like your processing, Phil. The color balance and general look of the image are excellent. I may be in the minority here, but I think just a touch more room on the right and the top would be nice.

I don’t know what they are, but the are a couple od darker blobs in the upper left that look similar to dust bunnies. I think you might want to remove them.

Superb detail and color in the Turnstone.

Good job on the low angle. Detail and color looks excellent. I like the close-up sense, though could still see a bit more room on the right and top.

Excellent point of view, color, and detail. Perhaps a tiny bit more room on the right would be helpful but I think the crop is generally okay. Excellent job on the sand detail. I really like the warm light you were able to get and emphasize that on the feathers.

Hello, Phil. That’s a lot of questions. Good job on the post processing, I guess your decision to add canvas was the right one, since the bird now - for me - has the right amount of space around it. The colors look natural to me as well. Nice job done ! Cheers, Hans