Rufous Backside

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I loved the color in the feathers along the back of this hummingbird. I usually work at getting the bird looking towards me, but I wonder if sometimes the backside is the interesting side. I did remove a small twig in the lower part of the frame because it was perfectly sharp and pulled your eye towards it.

Specific Feedback

Does this “pose” work?

Technical Details

OM System OM-1 Mark II
Olympus 300mm f4.0
1/1000 sec @ f4.0 ISO 2500

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

Nothing like a blackberry thicket for a background, Greg, but the birds love them. I think you did a fine job of handling that background, though you might look at toning down the brighter cane that crosses the upper right corner. Detail in the hummingbird is outstanding. I like the pose and the backside view with the eye showing. The way the body and beak of the bird line up with the two framing blackberry canes works nicely.

1 Like

Nice view of the backside with a bit of visible eye. The pose works for me but of course more of a backwards glance from the bird would have been ideal. While the BG is busy, I like seeing the bird amongst the thorns.

1 Like

The pose works nicely to show off the excellent detail you have in the back feathers. A typical setting for birds in my neck of the woods; somehow they avoid being impaled by the thorns.

1 Like