Rusted Twist + B&W added

I was camping out in the Mojave Preserve and an old corral was next to my camping spot. Landscape images were in short supply so I wandered into the corral and messed around for a while. The upper right corner is a little soft, but it doesn’t bother me at all.

D850, 70-200mm

1 Like

I find this interesting. I suspect that color is getting in the way here, that this might look better in b&w. But I can’t be sure because there is no way to download this. Why is that? This category is in the critique section of NPN yet does not allow downloads. The brighter rust areas are a point of focus so color may be best after all. Hard to say. But the way those black bg shadows repeat the wire pattern suggests that b&w might be interesting.

Excellent non-nature photo example here, Harley. I really enjoy these old corral finds that are mostly abandoned structures throughout the southwestern states. That along with old windmills, livestock loaders, barns, farm & ranch houses and even vehicles all make wonderful subjects at times. This wire clad fencing closeup works perfectly in that genre… :+1:

Just for yuks, I did a quick conversion to B&W. I like it a lot but it is a very different feel and look. Very much apples and oranges to me, rather than better or worse.

1 Like

We were working on this at the same time. As I worked on mine I decided that it would be best to have the back side more muted so I dropped it’s highlights while retaining them in the wire and fence. I then added clarity to further the separation. I also added a white frame (sorry). It’s got a bit of a less ominous look than yours and I’m not sure if that’s necessarily good. Anyway, here it is.

Harley, although the B&W has more of the vintage look or appeal, I lean toward the color version with the strong rusty patina… :cowboy_hat_face:

Well done Harley - beautifully seen. Color all the way for me. This isn’t about tonal range, contrasts, etc. all those things that make great b&w (well a few of the things anyway.) This image is a story and color is what carries that. The obvious rusted red barbs or ties? But also, the weathered wood. The rich colors really tell the story.

The bonus is the patterns, the lines shadows in the soft bg, but color for me. Excellent work.

Lon

Very appealing image, Harley. I just like the colour version better - I think it’s the way the rust patches on the wire help bring out the warm browns of the wood. Can’t quite out my finger on what it is about such semi-abstract images that attracts - line and texture maybe something to do with it.