Safe Haven

This was shot while on a month long canoe trip down the Bloodvein River in Northeastern Manitoba. It is a blend of three exposures to help deal with the dynamic range issues although I probably could have gotten by alright with two. I am buying my first printer (Canon Pro 1000) on Friday and I’m thinking I might use this image as my first print. Does it feel ready for printing? Suggestions and feedback always welcome.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Beautiful light!!! Looks ready to print to me. Great campsite.

1 Like

The light and the fog are awesome! I especially like the light on the tent. When I look at it full size, I would be willing to bet that you could sharpen it significantly more for print. Before printing large, I always crop down to a 5x7" and do a test print to check the sharpening.

1 Like

Thanks, Harley, much appreciated. Brent, I have a lot to learn about printing (like everything!!) I am considering taking Robert Rodriquez’s Master Class or at least studying a bunch of his tutorials to try and save myself a lot frustration before I get started in earnest.

1 Like

The light breaking through the morning fog and the silhouette of the tree allows the viewer to feel like they are there. Great mood shot. Sounds like a great adventure!! Look forward to more images from the trip.

1 Like

This has turned out really well Kerry. A very inviting composition and I love the overall dark/moody atmosphere. The location is spectacular and with the weather conditions you had it has reached a whole new level.

I am sure a print will look gorgeous.

1 Like

Looks like a great place to camp and this will make a very nice print. I find printing to be trial and error and like Brent said, start small and save paper and ink.

1 Like

Kerry,

This is a wonderful image. Not only a great take away and memory of your trip, but an image with mood, atmosphere and a great story.

Processing looks just great as well. Can’t say from this size and rez if the sharpening is good for print - just can’t be judged here, but I’m sure you’ll get a great print of this.

Lon

1 Like

Thanks everyone for your support and encouragement. I’m sure there will be a learning curve but the thought of holding actual printed images in my hands is just so exciting that I can’t wait to give it a go.

1 Like

Fabulous photo. Good job! My only suggestion, and this is a soft call, is that perhaps the bushes at the bottom are over sharpened compared to the rest of the photo.

This is truly outstanding Kerry!. Great mood and light. I can’t think of anything I would change. Well done, excellent image!